MAG-IC: Massad Ayoob Group – Instructor Course
This is a Subject Matter Instructor Course and NOT an Instructor Development Course. MAG-IC is a demanding three full day Course of Fire designed specifically to expose the MAG Instructor Candidate to Massad Ayoob’s Defensive Handgun Shooting System developed and pioneered in the early 1970’s and has been continually refined. The Course of Fire will include all handgun techniques of Massad Ayoob’s Defensive Handgun Shooting System. Instructor Candidates will have a complete understand of the core Massad Ayoob Defensive Handgun Shooting System, Firing Line Etiquette, Cold Range Philosophy, MAG Range Terminology, Range Commands and the administrative paperwork of a MAG-20 Range Course. A detailed Course of Fire, and other necessary handouts and forms will be provided for each Instructor Candidate upon the safe and successful completion of the MAG Instructor Course.
The Course of Fire for your primary handgun will include:
- Several Single Speed Qualifications
- Double Speed Qualification
- Triple Speed Qualification
- Quadruple Speed Qualification
- Mirror Image Qualification
Single Speed Qualification with 90% (270 out of 300) proficiency is required along with the safe completion of the Course of Fire.
Double, Triple and Quadruple Speed Qualifications with a 75% (225 out of 300) proficiency is required.
The Mirror Image Qualification requires an opposite side holster. If you are a right handed (strong side) shooter, you will need a left hand (weak side) belt holster and magazine pouches and vice versa.
Mirror Image Qualification with 75% (225 out of 300) proficiency is required.
The Course of Fire for your Back-up Gun will include:
- A 50 round Qualification. Back Up Gun Qualification with 75% (188 out of 250) proficiency is required.
The Course of Fire for your Revolver will include:
- A 60 round Qualification. Revolver Qualification with 75% (225 out of 300) proficiency is required.
Upon the safe and successful completion of the MAG Instructor Course, MAG Instructor Candidates will be appointed a Staff Instructor authorized to instruct MAG-20 Range Courses through the Massad Ayoob Group.
Prior training requirements for the MAG Instructor Course are ONE of the following:
- LFI-1, Judicious Use of Deadly Force
- MAG-40, Armed Citizens’ Rules of Engagement
- MAG-30 Range
A copy of your certificate for the above course(s) will be needed prior to the start of the course. A scanned PDF that is e-mailed to David Maglio is preferred.
Instructor Candidates should be well grounded as an Instructor in Instructor Development Courses such as but not limited to the National Rifle Association or Department of Justice curricula.
What Do I bring?
You will need your primary, back up and revolver handguns – clean and lubricated
- A full size or compact type handgun such as but not limited to:
- Sig P220, P226, P228, P229, P250 etc
- Any Glocks
- subcompacts are also acceptable
- S&W 59 series, 69 series 39 series, M&P series etc
- Beretta 92 series, 96 series etc
- Ruger P85, P89, P90 etc
- H&K USP series
- Springfield Armory XD, XDM and XDS series
- subcompacts are also acceptable
- 1911 type pistols
- CZ and clones type pistol
- Walther P99, etc
- A minimum of THREE magazines are required
- A minimum of 1000 rounds of ammunition is needed for your primary handgun
- A right hand (strong side) belt holster
- A left hand (weak side) belt holster
- Magazine pouches for at least 2 of your spare magazines
Back up handgun:
- A subcompact pistol or revolver, .380 caliber or above, 3.5 inch barrel or less, such as but not limited to:
- Glock 26, 27 and 33
- Smith and Wesson M&P Compacts and Shields etc
- Kahr PM-9, MK-9, PM-40, MK-40 etc
- J-Frame Size 5 shot revolvers – S&W, Taurus, Rossi, Ruger etc
- Springfield Armory XD, XDM, XDS, etc
- Walther PPK, PPK/S, PPS, PPX, etc
- Ruger LCP, LC9, LC9C, etc
- Kel-Tec 3AT, P11, PF9, etc
- A minimum of THREE speed loaders or a minimum of THREE magazines
- A minimum of 100 rounds of ammunition is needed for your Back up handgun
- A strong side belt holster
- Magazines pouches or speed loader holder for at least 2 of your spare magazines
- A full size (six shot cylinder) revolver
- .38 S&W Special caliber or above
- Any barrel length is acceptable
- A minimum of THREE speed loaders
- A minimum of 150 rounds of ammunition is needed for your Revolver
- A strong side belt holster
- Speed loader holder for at least 2 of your speed loaders
- A Note on Ammunition: We prefer factory practice ammunition such as but not limited to: Federal American Eagle, Remington UMC, Winchester “White Box” CCI Blazer, etc. We will allow reloads with the following stipulation: If you have multiple problems or malfunctions with your factory or reloaded ammunition, that ammunition will be pulled from the firing line immediately, no exceptions. Problems include but are not limited to squib loads (no or low powder charge) high primers, inverted primers, no primers, etc. Check each and every round, factory or reloads, before the course. We have a responsibility to the entire class to make the range as safe as possible. Your assistance and understanding of this will be appreciated.
- Muff type ear protection – active hearing suggested *USING ONLY EAR PLUGS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE FOR THIS COURSE*
- Wrap around type eye protection.
- Billed cap or other brimmed headwear.
- Clothing suitable for the weather and the range. If necessary, we will finish our range work in whatever conditions exist at class time, live-fire classes run rain or shine, mud may be involved.
- Raingear plus a light jacket and sweater or sweatshirt (mornings and evenings can be cold, even in Florida).
- Note taking materials. Audio or video recording of the class is not allowed.
- Firearm cleaning supplies plus any tools / lubricants that you might need.
- A flashlight. Although we will not be doing any night shooting, it can get getting dark fairly early and some of our facilities have no lighting at the range. A flashlight might be handy for packing up your gear and getting to your car.
- Body Armor is optional
Please note that the above list is just the essentials. You may bring additional items (such as a range bag, extra magazines, folding chairs and tables, tarps etc.), if you choose.
Many of our range locations have portable toilets, most do not have running water. For your comfort you might want to bring wipes, disposable washcloths and / or hand sanitizer.
Please bring your own lunches, snacks, beverages etc. We have a “working lunch” in all classes. Many of our facilities do not have a place close enough to purchase meals and get back in a reasonable amount of time. Also remember that many of our classes are 10 hour days so if you need another meal in that amount of time please bring it. Bring water, while we do provide water at all of our locations, it never hurts to bring some more. We teach in many locations and cannot guarantee the comfort of the chairs, if that might be an issue for you feel free to bring a cushion to sit on.
If you have any questions ask the host of the class you are taking.